Saturday, January 14, 2012

†CROSSES†

Me and some friends drove into a small town in northern New Mexico but the action soon became rotten sour so we left; and on the way out we stopped for lunch and ate at a little restaurant known as Casa de Cruzes.

We walked in and right away we could tell Jesus was checkin’ it out. This place I mean.
Crosses were hanging on all the walls.
The ceiling alone had about fifteen of them kinda sprawled out,
nailed down.
How ironic, I thought.

I especially remember this one that had a long, sad Jesus face to it but our food came and I saw that it was good and I ate of it.
As I chewed I looked around and realized that I’d never seen so many goddam crosses in one place
not even church.
I guess someone wanted to make real sure this place was securely blessed ~

holy like.

There was the velvet Jesus ~ Unlikely superstar but always the King.
Paintings of crosses ~ Local artists giving St. Peter the sleazy wink.
Twisted metal crosses gracing the masticating I.
Chandeliers and the hung Christ giving up face n flesh
Day and night.

Crosses in your face. Burrito on the table.


Lunch was divine but the hills were burnt charcoal black.
Hot sopapillas & honey for dessert.


Taos, NM. ‘95/‘96 – 6/11
Victor Millan

No comments:

Post a Comment